Fresh figs are one of the oldest foods man has been known to eat – and it’s no wonder! They’re refreshing, lightly sweet, and pack a healthy fiber punch. Whether you’re looking for a creative snack or an easy party appetizer these balsamic roasted figs are sure to please.
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp honey
1 tsp fresh thyme or rosemary, minced, to garnish
Optional coarse sea salt to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Oil a baking dish with coconut or avocado oil and set aside.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and the honey in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Slice the figs in half lengthwise and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the balsamic mixture over the figs and toss them to coat.* Reserve the vinegar mixture
- Arrange the figs in the prepared baking dish so they are in a single layer and not touching. Sprinkle lightly with minced thyme or rosemary – you just want a tiny bit on each fig to add a little flavor.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and use a small teaspoon to drizzle remaining reserve liquid over figs. Return to the oven to bake another 15 minutes or until figs begin to caramelize.
- When the figs are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy warm or chilled!
*You can marinate the figs a day ahead of time for a richer balsamic flavor