Taco Tuesday just got an upgrade! This dish is high in protein and has all the south-of-the-border flavors you crave when you think “tacos”. Serve it with a homemade almond flour tortilla for a hearty Mexican-inspired meal.
Carne Asada with Roasted Corn Relish
.75 – 1 lb carne asada, ¼” thick, cut into strips
¼ cup lime or lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add the meat to the bowl and marinate 1-3 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, heat a skillet over high heat. Add the meat and cook 2-3 minutes, just until browned, turning once.
- Remove the meat from the heat and set it aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining marinade. Cook the marinade over medium heat until it’s reduced by half. Set this aside to pour over the meat before serving.
Roasted Corn Relish
2 ears fresh corn
1 medium red jalapeno, seeded
1 medium white onion, diced
Oil, for cooking
1 ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt to taste
Fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Turn your broiler on high.
- Spread the corn, peppers, and onion on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toss them with 2-3 tablespoons of avocado oil or melted ghee, and roast the veggies until they begin to blacken slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- When the veggies are ready, remove them from the oven. Mince the jalapeno and combine all the veggies in a bowl with the vinegar and salt. Toss them to completely combine and set aside.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Almond Flour Tortillas
½ cup arrowroot
½ cup almond flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup water
2 tbsp oil
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix to completely combine. Add more water, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, to get the dough to come together.
- Separate the dough into 4 balls, and roll them one at a time between sheets of oiled parchment paper, until they are circles about 4 inches wide.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, no added oil, and cook the tortillas 30 seconds each side. Serve warm and fresh!