®These classic sports bar bites are said to have originated in Buffalo NY, which is how they got their name. Buffalo wings are easy to make and sure to please any crowd – even though this version is WAY healthier than any of the deep-fried wings you’ll find elsewhere. Just make sure you have your handi-wipes ready 😉
Buffalo Chicken Wings
2 lbs wings and drummettes (about 20 pieces), rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp paprika
3 Tbsp unsalted ghee
5 oz hot sauce (about ½ cup) – **see suggestions for Paleo Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Set aside a 9×13″ rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, and paprika and mix to combine.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and toss them in the spice blend, making sure they’re evenly covered. Arrange the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the wings for 25 minutes; flip, and bake another 10 minutes
- While the wings are baking, combine the sauce ingredients in a large pot (make sure the pot is big enough to fit all the wings, because they’re going in there in a minute!). Heat the ingredients over medium, whisking to combine, then set aside.
- When the wings are finished baking, transfer them to the pot of hot sauce and use a wooden spoon to toss the wings in the sauce.
- Turn the pot on and heat over medium-low, stirring the wings occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the wings hot – and enjoy!
Note: These wings are mild-medium on the heat scale. For medium+ hot wings, add ¼ tsp cayenne pepper to the sauce in step 5. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
** Good choices for Paleo-friendly hot sauces include Frank’s Red Hot Sauce®, Crystal® Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tessamae’s® Hot Sauce, and any other brand that offers a hot sauce without additives or preservatives. The only ingredients you need are cayenne pepper, garlic, vinegar, water, and salt 😉