3/4 c almond flour
1/3 c arrowroot starch
1/4 c cacao powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c melted coconut oil
1/4 c maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c Palm shortening
3 Tbsp Arrowroot
4 Tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Vanilla
6 drops peppermint essential oil OR 1-2 tsp peppermint extract, to taste
2–4 packets powdered stevia
10 drops liquid chlorophyll, optional, for color
1 capsule dried turmeric, optional, for color (adding the turmeric will make the filling a brighter green)
Prepare the cookie dough:
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot starch, cacao powder, baking soda, and sale in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil mixture to the almond flour mixture and mix to form a dough.
- Scoop the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and form the dough into a log about 2 inches wide. Roll up the log in the parchment paper and put it in the freezer to set, about 30 minutes or overnight.
To prepare the filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the honey, vanilla, stevia, arrowroot starch, and optional chlorophyll and turmeric into a smooth paste.
- Add the palm shortening and use an electric mixer or whisk to whip the frosting together, and then set it aside.
To bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and unwrap it.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into an even number of thin rounds, about 1/8″ thick, and place them on a parchment or silat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until crispy and darkened around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To assemble the cookies:
- Scoop 1 tsp of filling onto a cookie and top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
Place the prepared cookies in the fridge to set the filling faster.