Seriously, the holiday season just isn’t complete without with a cookie jar filled with festive cut-out sugar cookies. Cookie Santas, candy canes, reindeer—you’ve got to have them! But the traditional sugar cookie recipe isn’t quite “paleo friendly,” so I had to have a little bit fun and experiment with making my own.
Let me tell you, these hit the spot! Serve them with a little hot cocoa and you’ve got yourself the perfect paleo sugar cookie. You know, I think even Santa would approve if he found these by the tree this year!
Paleo Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Recipe
¾ c almond flour
⅓ c arrowroot starch + 4 Tbsp
1 Tbsp coconut flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ c melted coconut oil
¼ c maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
To prepare the cookie dough:
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to completely combine.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add the coconut oil mixture to the almond flour mixture and stir well to completely combine.
- Roll out the dough into a ¼” circle between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Place the rolled dough in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
To bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat and set aside.
- When the dough is set, remove it from the freezer and work quickly using cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Use a spatula to transfer the shapes to the prepared baking sheet.
- Re-roll the dough scraps into a ¼” round, and re-freeze the dough about 10-15 minutes. Repeat the cutting process with the remaining dough.
- When the cookies are ready, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are golden around the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool fully before serving.