Peppermint Paleo Oreos
This recipe is one of my all-time faves – for example, it’s pretty hard to get me to share them, and when I do you’ll know I love you 😉 the combination of peppermint and chocolate is decadent and refreshing, and I love the natural green coloring option!
I recommend doing the first 2 steps of preparing the dough and preparing the filling the day before you want to enjoy these tasty treats. This saves you some time the day of, and makes the process much smoother.
PEPPERMINT PALEO OREOS
3/4 c almond flour
1/3 c arrowroot starch
1/4 c cacao powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c melted coconut oil
1/4 c maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c Palm shortening
3 Tbsp Arrowroot
4 Tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Vanilla
6 drops peppermint essential oil OR 1-2 tsp peppermint extract, to taste
2–4 packets powdered stevia
10 drops liquid chlorophyll, optional, for color
1 capsule dried turmeric, optional, for color (adding the turmeric will make the filling a brighter green)
Prepare the cookie dough:
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot starch, cacao powder, baking soda, and sale in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil mixture to the almond flour mixture and mix to form a dough.
- Scoop the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and form the dough into a log about 2 inches wide. Roll up the log in the parchment paper and put it in the freezer to set, about 30 minutes or overnight.
To prepare the filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the honey, vanilla, stevia, arrowroot starch, and optional chlorophyll and turmeric into a smooth paste.
- Add the palm shortening and use an electric mixer or whisk to whip the frosting together, and then set it aside.
To bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and unwrap it.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into an even number of thin rounds, about 1/8″ thick, and place them on a parchment or silat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until crispy and darkened around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To assemble the cookies:
- Scoop 1 tsp of filling onto a cookie and top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
Place the prepared cookies in the fridge to set the filling faster.